Tradition says don’t take communion if there’s sin in your life. But that’s not what the passage is about.
Obviously, we all have sin in our lives! But it’s not about sin; it’s about faith.
- Paul reminds us to consider what we’re doing, and “discern” the Lord’s body. (1Cor.11:26-29)
- Jesus said, “Take, eat: this is my body, which is broken for you…”(1Cor.11:24)
- His broken body is the source of our healing (Isa.53:5, Matt.8:16-17, 1Pet.2:24).
- But all the benefits of His passion are procured by faith. The results of shortsighted participation in the “Lord’s Supper” are then only natural and predictable.
- “For this cause many are weak and sickly among you, and many sleep.” (1Cor.11:30)
- Contempt for this healing virtue reduces us to the way of the world, without redemption from sickness and death.